70-620
Jo
2009-09-25 13:52:01 UTC
Well, I tested and failed. I found that the Press Book was no preparation
for the test I took. The book gives you a ton of multiple choice questions -
I had 25 simulations and 25 multiple choice. Where the heck are the
simulations on the testing software? Now I have to find a testing site to
purchase more testing software or e-learning so I can pass the test.

Yes, Microsoft always knows how to get to your wallet.

By the way, they suggest either MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware.com - which is
the better site for testing software?
Motochick
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
2009-09-27 06:08:59 UTC
Post by Jo
Well, I tested and failed. I found that the Press Book was no preparation
for the test I took. The book gives you a ton of multiple choice questions -
I had 25 simulations and 25 multiple choice. Where the heck are the
simulations on the testing software?
No testing software provides simulations.

With all respect that may be due.... the test did what it was designed to
do.

It separates the people who just study the book from those who actually
*know* the product.
Post by Jo
Now I have to find a testing site to
purchase more testing software or e-learning so I can pass the test.
No.. I'd suggest you install and *USE* the product for three months, and
then you won't need help with the demos, you'll actually *know* how to
perform the procedures. Note: Installing a trial copy of Vista Ultimate for
120 days is exponentially cheaper than buying any eLearning. If you're
prepared to pay money then you should purchase, install, and use the
product. For starters, working through the exercises in the MSPress book
would be a good start -- rather than just reading them.
Post by Jo
By the way, they suggest either MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware.com - which is
the better site for testing software?
Testing software WILL NOT HELP. None of the testing sofware provides
simulations. The only way to practice for simulation testing is to install
and use the software -- which is exactly why the simulations are included in
the exam.
--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Jo
2009-09-28 13:16:02 UTC
With all due respect here, I did install the product and have an active
laptop that I have used for over a YEAR. Having a reading comprehension
problem, I am truly amazed as to what I did comprehend out of all of
this....I read, practiced and still failed...so do a lot of others who read,
practiced and "used the product".

If you state "testing software won't help" - what the heck is the Press Book
- but testing software?! And YES, it didn't help either in getting through
the test.

The problem with the test is that the simulation questions are so VAGUE that
a lot of people probably can't make heads or tails out of what they are
supposed to do. UAC - I knew where to go, but to answer the question, you
had to sit and pull the question apart...read it over and over before any
sense was made of it.

Yes, Microsoft, you need to be "specific" when you give a simulation
question, otherwise, more and more people will continue to fail even though
they read, practiced and USED THE PRODUCT.
--
Motochick
Jo
2009-09-28 16:42:01 UTC
Just a note - some one suggested this link below:
http://www.accelerated-ideas.com/practice-exam-70-620.aspx

I took the practice test and got a 90% within 12 minutes. These weren't
memorized questions. So, YES, I can read...and think I have some knowledge
of what I read.
--
Motochick
OhMan
2009-12-23 10:20:01 UTC
I totally agree. They must have these tests built in a non english country or
they dont proof the product. Many things are wrong with the whole cert
process when you go to classes at supposed MS Partners. For 8000.00 you would
think they would hand out sim software. My school did not even measure
progress with pop quizzes or tests. MS needs to police these borderline
crooks. When have you ever heard of these facilities being inspected. You
need to download MS Virtual Machine 2007 for free and install evaluation
copies of Vista and "legally" extend the product for 120 days using slmgr
-rearm command. Note: How did you like the remote assist sim that the only
place you could launch RA was in the help menu?
m***@netzero.com
2010-01-04 09:03:04 UTC
The MCTS Exam 70-620 Configuring Windows Vista Client textbook is well
written, has a MeasureUp practice testing CDROM that allows you to take
tests by exam topic (usually 2 - 3 chapters at a time) or test for the
entire group of topics in certification mode.

The D-Link DIR-615 router can be purchased for about $70, and it comes with
a USB 2.0 wireless NIC that will allow you to actually configure and test
Vista wireless connectivity and security. It also will allow you to test
Remote Assistance via wireless connectivity, but to test/configure Remote
Desktop (remote control), the wireless workstation/notebook must have Win XP
Pro as a minimum, and preferably Win Vista Ultimate.

You can purchase a Verbatim 1 Terabyte USB 2.0 external drive and then
download free Virtual Server and Virtual PC software from Microsoft, which
will not only teach you virtual machines, but also allow you to set up
multiple virtual workstations each running different versions of Windows so
that you can put your knowledge of Vista product
installation/connectivity/configuration/communication/collaboration to the
"test" ... until you not only ace the MeasureUp tests, but also the
Transcender battery of tests, as well as all of the exercises in the
textbook.

This will give you the "hands-on" experience with the product that you need
to survive a certification exam that uses simulations to separate the
"reader/test takers" from the "doers" that ultimately must support LANs &
WANs in the workplace ... which is the whole purpose of the certification.

Mike
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
m***@netzero.com
2010-02-25 09:29:25 UTC
Took the exam yesterday and passed on the first attempt, albeit not with the
score I'm usually accustomed to ... but passing the test leads to the
certification. When all is done and said ... the key to success is ... the
MCTS Exam 70-620 Configuring Windows Vista Client textbook ... forget
anything else that anyone has told you or taught you and ... focus ... on
everything ... the author of this book is trying to teach you ... most
specifically his recommendations for utilizing virtual machines (Microsoft
Virtual PC 2007 is the superior product at least for this course and its
simulations due to its ease of setup and use for the book's simulations) and
do take the practice tests that come with the book until you dream them when
you try to sleep ... and yes ... it is going to take you three months or
more and you should have read the book twice by then. (PS: Expect a
one-to-one relationship between your scores on the certification mode
practice tests in this book and your actual score on the actual
certification test).

Mike
OhMan
2009-12-23 10:10:05 UTC
Correction. If you check the web there are CBT Nuggets, Sybex and some videos
on you tube. Using the product helps, but the book copywrite is 2007 and at
the time the test did not have simulations. For the money they should have a
revised disk or links to Microsoft Learning Sims to make up for the
inadequate testing software. Which by the way if you check the errata, the
book and the testing software have around 40 mistakes. They should offer
these sims at no charge. Train Signal also has all the sims you would need,
but they cost.
Andrew B
2009-10-02 19:20:45 UTC
I have to say in response to this, yes there are loads of simulations and
they are a complete surprise. I was not happy at all. I studied with the
press book also.

In their defense though, the practice tests should have helped you with the
simulations. The fact is when I study for my next exam I will do more of the
practice tests before the exam as there were quite a lot of simulations.

Having never seen a simulation though and studying with the press book I
passed with a score of 900/1000. It took me 6 weeks of study in total.
Motochick
Jo
2009-10-26 17:44:09 UTC
I was getting 90's on my practice tests on the Press Book - so I had some
understanding of what was going on. I won't give up though - back to the
Press Book, the Sybex book and now CBT Nuggets. I'm someone who is visual.
Draw me a picture and I can relate. Reading the Press Book was like eating
nails....then only to suffer a whack by failing the test.

I'm ready to go back into the ring....review, retake, rejoice!
--
Motochick